Saturday, October 29, 2011

Happy Birthday Bestie: A Round up of Birthday Cakes


Today is my best friends Birthday. I wanted to honor her special day by making her the most amazing birthday cake ever. Something composed of an impossible number of layers and unspeakable amounts of sugar, something coated in sky high swirls of butter cream and speckled with colorful sprinkles. A cake so perfectly moist and rich, yes light and airy at the same time. A cake as wonderful as she is. 

But, obviously... this didn't happen. Time has escaped me lately. A lack of planning has meant that I have spent far too much time doing the things I have to do, and far too little time doing the things I want to do. But we won't dwell on this. Instead, we celebrated her special day at a restaurant last night, with a heavenly steak dinner,  strawberry short cake, champagne, and copious amounts of vino. Not bad. Not bad at all. 

So, in lieu of an original cake recipe, here is a round up of beautiful cakes I am in awe of. I dream of creating cakes as magnificent as these. Maybe next year, darling.

Enjoy!




 5 Layer Neapolitan Cake with Strawberry Frosting by the oh so talented (and fellow Canadian!) Sweetapolita





Whenever we go to the movies, Nicola always gets Maltesers.I know she would love this Chocolate Malteser Cake by Oven Haven.



 
 

  Just Wow. Fourteen Layer Cake by Bakerella. All individually baked layers!


The girliest one of them all, this might be the cake of my dreams.  Ruffle Tower Cake by Martha Stewart.

 



Oh fluffy golden swirls of meringue, how I love you. Also, anything that requires a torch is automatically awesome. Lemon Curd Cake by Just Love Cookin.





You don't need to be a kid to love rainbows. You do, however, need to be extremely talented (not to mention patient!) to make this 6 Layer Rainbow Cake by Whisk Kid.


Happy Birthday Nicola! I hope you have the wonderful day you deserve! 


Up Next: Thanksgiving Desserts! 



XO, 


Maia



1 comment: